Whatever your business is, if you’ve got customers, patients or guests, ChatterPlug's customer feedback platform is the key to turning your mobile app into a customer engagement machine. Get inside customers heads, track your engagements, and create uniquely customized experiences for each and every customer that keeps them satisfied and loyal to you for life - all through your brand’s mobile application.
Lights, Camera, Action!
Live Entertainment. Whether it’s a sporting event, concert, or live show, there’s nothing quite like it. But with the advent of HDTV and rising ticket prices, it’s becoming harder and harder to pull event-goers out of their homes. What if you could connect with your ticket buyers, providing them an experience that makes everyone feel like they’re sitting courtside, when they’re actually directing air traffic in the rafters? Ask and you shall receive. The ChatterPlug platform revolutionizes the in-venue and in-game experience, making truly memorable occasions worth repeating. That’s a home run.
The ChatterPlug platform makes hotels and leading hospitality businesses more responsive to their guests needs than ever before. ChatterPlug is your virtual concierge, never leaving your guests’ sides. Need towels? Dirty Room? Directions to the best restaurants? Loud neighbor? ChatterPlug is always on, and always there to keep your guests happy and comfortable - and more importantly: choosing your properties over the competition. Enjoy your stay!
Set yourself apart from your competition by engaging your restaurant’s customers and keeping them from jumping to the restaurant across the street. ChatterPlug makes your restaurant more responsive to customer preferences and needs than ever before. Learn what your customers really think - how the meal and service REALLY are, providing up-to-the-second customer service that keeps your customers clamoring for more. Bottoms up.
The root of “customers” is “custom”. Today’s consumers have been trained through years of e-commerce shopping to expect customized experiences when shopping. Despite this, 92% of customer transactions occur in brick & mortar stores. So how can you set yourself apart from the competition? Simple. Use ChatterPlug to make on-the-fly optimizations with the same immediacy and intelligence that e-commerce businesses have for years; delivering customized customer experiences and a hefty bottom line. This keeps your customers happy, loyal, and most importantly, profitable.
Customer experience metrics have gained traction in healthcare and are expected to become more important as incentive payments to health organizations become linked to patient satisfaction scores.
Starting in October 2012, Medicare will reduce base payments for each hospital discharge by one percent, or about $850 million for fiscal year 2013, as part of its Hospital Value-Based Purchasing program that uses consumer assessment scores, known as HCAHPS, as a key component to calculate value-based incentive payments.
Patient satisfaction scores will determine 30 percent of the incentive payments, while improved clinical outcomes will determine the remaining 70 percent.
According to a report recently released by the Health Research Institute (HRI) of PwC US – Customer experience in health care: The moment of truth:
- Now is a crucial "moment of truth" for healthcare organizations that have to work harder for consumer engagement and loyalty.
- One third of consumers said they would be willing to switch their health insurance or healthcare provider if another company offered a more "ideal experience."
- Health organizations must open up forums for customer feedback so they can proactively monitor and manage customer experiences.
Let’s face it. There’s no shortage of grocery stores that you compete with; and you all carry mainly the same products. But, you can only compete on price for so long. What about competing on customer service? Bring back discontinued products that your customers love, introduce new products that they’re asking for, and develop a culture of responsiveness and service that ensures you’re the grocery store that’s part of their weekly routine. What’s more? Integrate your club card or loyalty program to the ChatterPlug platform. Now that’s what’s for dinner.
Want to be that brand that everyone is talking about? The brand whose customers are satisfied and never stop singing your praises? If you’re using ChatterPlug, these won’t be questions, but foregone conclusions. Help your customers experience the full benefits of your product and gather valuable information to drive further research & development - all while capturing real-time data from your customers and holding your retailers accountable for their performance. Pretty enticing, huh?Request A Demo